Denture Types – Pros and Cons
A prosthetic device is an artificial replacement for a missing part of the body. Dental prosthetics such as dentures, replace human teeth. If you have suffered tooth loss due to disease or injury, an affordable dentist can help restore your smile and improve your health by creating either removable or permanent dentures to replace your missing teeth. Before you can wear dentures, your dentist in Allentown may have to remove any remaining teeth and allow the tissues to heal. Depending on what type of work needs to be done, the process may take weeks or months to complete.
Know Your Options
Several types of affordable quality dentures are available:
- A complete or full set of dentures is created to replace all upper or lower teeth.
- Partial dentures correct gaps when only a few teeth are missing. Attachments are used to hold the dentures in place. Acrylic partial dentures form a plate that covers the entire roof of your mouth, while metal partial dentures only cover part of the area and are generally more comfortable to wear.
- Immediate dentures are placed on the same day tooth extractions are performed. These serve as a temporary solution while permanent dentures are being made. Periodic adjustments are often required.
- Overdentures fit over and attach to one or more natural teeth. Implants may also serve as an anchor for overdentures. Overdentures may require multiple dental appointments because of their complexity.
Pros and Cons of Wearing Dentures
- The benefits of wearing dentures include improved appearance and self-esteem, prevention of tooth migration, and support for sagging facial muscles. With dentures, you may be able to eat and speak normally again.
- Downfalls of dentures include a frustrating but temporary adjustment period, possible mouth irritation if dental hygiene is neglected, and a reduced ability to taste food. As your mouth changes shape over time, you may have to have your dentures adjusted or replaced.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Allentown, call Gentle Dental of Allentown today at (610) 616-3593 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Allentown. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Allentown, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Allentown.